Thursday, October 4, 2012

the write stuff


These days have been occupied with one of three things: working on a big project (secrets!), updating this very blog, and creating a brand new website. The website bit comes with the fun assignment of giving myself a new header... which means HAND LETTERING. Hand lettering is maayyybeee one of my favorite things. I pretty much went to town on this project, above are a few of the options.

Sadly you'll have to wait to see my website, as I'm running into a few technical hiccups. Actually my website doesn't work at all right now, which is a little terrifying because the cure seems to just be to wait. How awful is that?

In the meantime I decided to do a round up of some fun, hand drawn looking fonts. Paying for a font might seem a little painful with sites like dafont.com and fontsquirrel, but guys. Lets real talk for a second here: do you want a font for your blog? For an etsy shop? I like free fonts just as much as the next person, but most of the time they will not deliver the gorgeous little details that a paying font will. You'll get a full set of glyphs (ever go to write a % or a & in a free font and all you get is a little square? yep, that's fun), you'll get better kerning and letting, heck you might even get more than one version of a letter or even a few dingbats thrown in. And all for $20-$60! Considering you are buying someone's art to use on your own product legally, that's not a bad deal.

Okay, getting off my soap box, and ON to my font box! Look at these bad boys, don't you want to take one home today?



Belluccia - starts at $29 | Trithart (oh hey, self promotion!) - starts at $24.99 | Verner - $26.25 | Sverige - $59 | Cerise - $68.40 | Coronette - starts at $29 | Emma Script (how perfect is that?) - starting at $39

1 comment:

  1. You made a font??! How cool! I agree with you--it's fun to play around with free fonts, but buying a special one can really "pay off" in the long run.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's great to know you're enjoying my patterns, and I'll definitely keep up with it. It's been a fun challenge to make one everyday. I've really been enjoying your gloomy doodles too. It's getting me in the Halloween spirit in a very stylish way! :)

    ReplyDelete