Wednesday, August 21, 2013

island in the sun


After traveling to Michigan (Canton -> Charlevoix -->Beaver Island) for a week and then California for a long weekend shortly after I am finally home. Being away from home for so long was pretty hard, I'm the kinda girl that likes the feel of her own bed, no matter how cheap the mattress is. Don't get me wrong though, both trips were AMAZING. 

Beaver Island has been my family's home away from home since I was a little kid. We'd go up there for two weeks every single summer... until I had an AWFUL 7 year hiatus which came to an end this summer. Along with my newly engaged brother and his rad lady we drove up to the tip of the mitten, took a ferry and arrived on this enchanted place. I keep telling people that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to express the strange wonderfulness of Beaver Island, but it's true. It's a small town, it's an artistic community, it's a haven for wierdos... I don't know, you have to just go experience it yourself. 

We can talk about Los Angeles and my Katie-filled weekend later, but for now let's look at some photos from Michigan.

mitten jokes

Beaver Island Beaver Island
Beaver Island Beaver Island
clockwise: the emerland islander sets sail / dad's dilly beans & hot dogs / jake on the big rock / after fishing

Beaver Island
the view from our deck

Beaver Island Beaver Island
local flora / protar's tomb

Beaver Island
don't worry, that's a bb gun

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing. I need to go to this place now. Also I love your badass last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH Marisa, you would love it. AND if you're coming from Wisconsin you might get to take TWO ferries, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how much you like being on giant boats.

      Delete
    2. FERRY BOATS ARE MY FAVOURITE MODE OF TRANSPORTATION.

      Delete