Tuesday, September 10, 2013

pie chart


Last week I got an e-mail from Annie asking me if I wanted to help her make typographic pies. How could I say no? Lettering and desserts... it's too good to be true!

So I came up with some designs on the fly and made my way to her adorable apartment in Minneapolis and we scrapped some fancy pies together! 

A pro tip to everyone who wants to try this at home: maybe try a simpler design than I came up with at first, or try something on a flatter pie. The peach and apple pies were ever so difficult to get perfect.. and don't get me started on the intricacies of baking the negative spaces inside the letters separately!

Instead let's just admire all the gorgeous photos that Annie took...





We gave up on the pie above after having tested a few others - this one would've been impossible to read if I had cut out the crust, so we dusted it with cinnamon! WIN.



bonus! some behind the scenes photos I took on my phone...

font-tastic pies font-tastic pies

6 comments:

  1. Such a cool idea! This would be really great on a raspberry pie since the filling would be flat. I would love a slice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the greatest!! And your type pairs perfectly with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a genius idea!! I do a 10 in 30 goals for each month and one of my October goals is to start baking fall pies and pumpkin inspired recipes and I will absolutely be attempting to make my pies look this good when I start making them! Pinning now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - what a fun project!! I hope you got to taste your art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. I'm definitely having a go at this! Because lettering! And pie!

    ReplyDelete